Surgery negligence claims
If you’re suffering from an illness or injury that was caused due to surgery, the effects can be devastating. Slater and Gordon’s specialist legal experts can help get the compensation you deserve.
Medical negligence experts
Contact our medical negligence team today for support with your claimContact us
What is surgery negligence?
When undergoing surgery, you need to put your trust in the medical professionals. In the vast majority, surgeries and the recovery following surgery goes well. However, there are occasions when mistakes are made.
All surgical procedures have an element or risk, but when mistakes are made which causes you further suffering, you may be entitled to compensation for surgery negligence.
What mistakes can occur as a result of negligent surgery?
Tiredness, lack of training, miscommunication and incompetence can all lead to mistakes being made during surgery. Such mistakes include:
- Performing the wrong operation
- Wrong site surgery - performing the operation in the wrong place
- Damaging nerves or arteries
- Damaging organs, such as the spleen, liver, bowel and bladder
- Failing to notice damage to organs, such as the spleen, liver, bowel and bladder
- Cholecystectomy - damaging the bile duct during gall-bladder removal
- Hernia operations leading to death of a testicle
- Leaving instruments, swabs or other items inside the body
- (such as the patient being awake or partially awake during a procedure when they should be unconscious)
When errors and oversights are made, it can cause unnecessary pain and suffering to the injured person and can even worsen their condition with devastating outcomes.
Can I claim for errors in keyhole surgery?
Yes. We have recovered a significant amount of compensation for people where keyhole surgery has caused serious problems. These include:
- Mistakes in gall bladder surgery (Cholecystectomy)
- Bile duct damage
- Damage to the bowel or bladder
- Damage to nerves
- Damage to blood vessels
- Failure to notice organs / nerves damaged during surgery
- Failure to notice infection developed after surgery.
What negligence is likely to cause injury following surgery?
There are occasions when the surgery carried out is a success. However, mistakes are made following surgery which can lead to injury and illness. Such mistakes include:
- Failing to notice that a patient is developing infection: contracting an infection is not always a sign of negligence but failing to note the signs of infection may be. A neglected infection can be much worse than an infection treated early.
- Failing to notice the organs, such as the bowel, are not working properly. Obstruction of the bowel can be very serious indeed.
Can I make a surgery compensation claim for a loved one who passed away?
Yes. If a medical professional was negligent during surgery, which has led to the death of a loved one, you may be entitled to claim surgery negligence compensation.
who will advise you what you’re entitled to and will get you the justice you deserve. The vast majority of our surgery negligence cases are funded by a , which means if you lose your case, you won't have to pay any fees, and therefore, there’s no financial risk to you.
How much time do I have to make a surgery claim?
If you believe you have a surgery claim, it’s important that you seek advice from a solicitor who specialises in medical negligence cases as soon as possible, as there are time limits in place in England, Scotland and Wales.
Generally, a claim for surgery compensation should be made within three years from the date the negligence occurred or the date you were first aware that you had suffered a significant injury or illness due to negligence. However, there are exceptions.
Why choose Slater and Gordon's surgery negligence solicitors?
Not only do we have many years' experience securing compensation for surgery negligence, we also have the utmost sensitivity to handle your case with great care.
Can I change my solicitors to Slater and Gordon?
If you or a family member have been seriously impacted by negligent surgery, and you feel that you're not getting the specialist legal advice you need from your current solicitor, we'll be happy to discuss switching your case to Slater and Gordon. Simply call our experts on or .
Meet the medical negligence experts
Meet our specialist medical negligence team, many of which are considered 'Leaders in their field' with a significant amount of expertise.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything Slater and Gordon have done to fight this case for us. I appreciate it has involved a lot of people. Please can you also thank the expert witnesses who have provided their expertise and help. Mr and Mrs H (medical negligence client)
I cannot recommend Slater and Gordon enough, throughout the entire period of the case, all the staff have been both very professional, and supportive. Mr Q (medical negligence client)
Kept informed regularly as to how my claim was going, prompt replies to any questions I had, excellent customer service at all times. Excellent service from all staff that have been involved in my claim. Ms S (medical negligence client)